AustenToZafon

Austen to Zafón

Reading widely since 1972.

A London Family, 1870-1900: A Trilogy
Swallows and Amazons
Arthur Ransome
Illusion in java
Gene Fowler
OFF-TOPIC: The Story of an Internet Revolt by G.R. Reader - G.R. Reader Sigh. Apparently, the problem with GR goes much further than the buy out by Amazon (for the sole purpose of data mining). I was almost okay with that. I mean okay enough to not try to find an alternative and figure out how to transfer all my data intact. But now GR has decided that it will delete, without warning, any review, list, or even whole bookshelf, if it deems the entry to be outside certain vaguely defined standards. As this book says, this change was announced on a Friday afternoon to a group to which fewer than 1% of GR members belong. So, I'm only finding out about it now. I'm pretty sure not a single review of mine, or of the ones I write for my young son's account, will be deleted under this policy. But I despise censorship and this book covers how inconsistently the censorship policy is being enforced. I'm sad that some of the reviewers I liked are moving on. I expect I will be too, when I figure out how to do that. Not that GR will miss me; I'm not a big reviewer and I don't have a lot of followers. But the combo of the Amazon overlords and the knee-jerk censorship make me want to stop writing reviews.