AustenToZafon

Austen to Zafón

Reading widely since 1972.

A London Family, 1870-1900: A Trilogy
Arthur Ransome
Illusion in java
Gene Fowler

More Collected Stories

More Collected Stories - V.S. Pritchett Since no description for this book has been entered, here's the blurb from the back of the book, "This collection again brings us a typically diverse and lovingly drawn range of Pritchett characters, from the two hugely fat men who find each other in a pub, "drawn will-lessly together by the magnetic force of their phenomenal obesities"; to the prissy antiques dealer whose major complaint about the war is the lack of gourmet foods, and who finds romance with the holder of extra ration tickets; to the pretentious couple who buy an extravagant house, only to find that the former tenant comes with it." I really enjoyed the prose, which was detailed, imaginative and engrossing, but somehow I just couldn't relate to the stories. It's not just that the book was written in the past. I generally find that easy enough to relate to, loving Maugham, Dickens, Fitzgerald and so on. But I couldn't find anything in common with the characters and didn't really understand their motivations or actions. I got about 1/2 way through and never had any desire to pick the book up again.