AustenToZafon

Austen to Zafón

Reading widely since 1972.

A London Family, 1870-1900: A Trilogy
Swallows and Amazons
Arthur Ransome
Illusion in java
Gene Fowler
Stones for Ibarra - Harriet Doerr I read this book in my early twenties and loved it. The writing is filled with light, both real and figurative. She successfully evokes the heat, landscape, and people of Mexico and also illuminates the complications of relationships, especially the difficulty of learning to live in another culture and learning to live with mortality. I wish that Doerr had written many more books. Her writing gives me such pleasure. I reread this book recently and find that it resonates even more now that I'm older, married, aware of my own mortality. Doerr based the book on her own experience of moving with her husband to Mexico to restart a mine and I'm sure that's why the details ring so true, but it isn't just that. She has an eye for detail, a sympathetic approach to all the characters, and a lifetime of experience backing it all up. She was in her 70's when this, her first book, was published. She didn't return to Stanford to finish her BA until she was in her 60's.