AustenToZafon

Austen to Zafón

Reading widely since 1972.

A London Family, 1870-1900: A Trilogy
Swallows and Amazons
Arthur Ransome
Illusion in java
Gene Fowler
The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen Many people recommended this book to me. People I respected who had similar tastes in books. It also won the hearts of many prickly and egotistic critics. So it may be that this book just suffered from over-sell for me, from inflated expectations. I don't know. But I do know that apart from a few passages that were amusing, I pretty much disliked this book from beginning to end. Even though I wanted to put it down, I kept reading hoping I'd get to the part that distinguished this book from all the other angry-young-man angst-filled books by authors who have it in for family, but it never happened. While this author may be occasionally more witty than many authors, he didn't have anything new to add. Mostly I found it to be an annoying combination of pretentious and vulgar and juvenile. I didn't like or want to root for any of the characters. I don't want to spoil the plot, so I won't elaborate on the grosser scenes in the book, but if you like poop humor, you won't be disappointed.