AustenToZafon

Austen to Zafón

Reading widely since 1972.

A London Family, 1870-1900: A Trilogy
Swallows and Amazons
Arthur Ransome
Illusion in java
Gene Fowler
The Glass of Time - Michael Cox I haven't had such a fun literary romp in a long time! This Victorian-style mystery is an homage to Wilkie Collins and Victorian ghost stories. What a page-turner! I cam upon it browsing at the library and was surprised how well-written it was. It kept me reading late several nights. My only disappointment is that it's actually a sequel to Cox's first book, The Meaning of Night, which is, according to reviewers, an even better book. But now I know too much to read the first book in the way it should be read and it won't be as rewarding. I did want to address a few people who said that they were frustrated the author put some much detail in the end as an epilogue. He was dying. He was diagnosed with cancer and began going blind before he wrote the first book and during the writing of both books, he had numerous surgeries and treatments. It's amazing me managed to crank out two such great novels at all! He dies shortly after this book was published. I think he may have just been running out of strength.