AustenToZafon

Austen to Zafón

Reading widely since 1972.

A London Family, 1870-1900: A Trilogy
Swallows and Amazons
Arthur Ransome
Illusion in java
Gene Fowler
A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table - Molly Wizenberg I wanted to really love this book. And I did, until the irritatingly gushy chapters about the guy she meets online who is a fan of her web site, Orangette. She's a good writer, but her writing took a significant turn for the precious when she wrote about her "magic" boyfriend/fiance/husband. I got the feeling that those chapters were designed to impress him with all the wonderful things she had to say about him. When she got to the part where she described how they have these dialogs where they pretend there's never been anyone else ever in their whole lives, I cringed with embarrassment. That said, the earlier chapters about her family and her time in France were entertaining. And I loved her writing about her dad, which somehow reminded me of Anne Lamott writing about *her* dad. And the recipes I've tried so far have been pretty good: Butternut Squash Soup with Pear, Cider & Vanilla Bean; Slow-Roasted Tomatoes; and Chana Masala. Overall, I'm glad I read it, but I skimmed the sappy chapters, only pausing long enough to read the recipes.