AustenToZafon

Austen to Zafón

Reading widely since 1972.

A London Family, 1870-1900: A Trilogy
Swallows and Amazons
Arthur Ransome
Illusion in java
Gene Fowler
Learning At Home : A Mother's Guide To Homeschooling, Revised Edition - Marty Layne I enjoyed reading this mother's perspective on what it's like to homeschool. While some of the references and resources listed are dated, the advice and thoughts are not. Layne reinforces my idea that children need time to just "mess about" with things, to be exposed to a variety of things and experiences, to play for long stretches. These are things that school leaves precious little time to do.

As the mother of a child who seems like he may be a "late" reader, I appreciated her chapter on reading, which talks about how important it is not too push too hard too early. All four of her kids were "late" readers, reading at 8.5, 9, 11, & 12 years old. She mentions the value of being a pre-reader, when the focus is oral memory, and how it might be a benefit to have a longer period of that, before reading changes a child's perceptions and focus.

Most of her chapters cover a particular learning area, such as reading, writing, or math, but I think this quote from the reading chapter encapsulates her home learning approach, "Biodiversity is now recognized to be important for our survival on this planet...I wonder if we need to think about the diversity of human perception, intelligence, creativity, and thinking as well. Are we eliminating human diversity when we force children to read before they have established their own unique ways of thinking and perceiving?" And in another chapter, she quotes a poem by Piet Hein:
T.T.T
When you feel how depressingly
slowly you climb,
it's well to remember that
Things Take Time

And finally, I think every homeschooling mom can appreciate her chapter on burn-out.