AustenToZafon

Austen to Zafón

Reading widely since 1972.

A London Family, 1870-1900: A Trilogy
Swallows and Amazons
Arthur Ransome
Illusion in java
Gene Fowler
The Complete Stories of Truman Capote - Truman Capote, Reynolds Price Arranged in chronological order, these short stories show Capote's evolution as a writer, moving from more imitative styles to his own voice. As with most collections, some of the stories are better than others. Reading the first one, "The Walls Are Cold," almost made me quit. The walls weren't the only thing cold, as the story seemed detached and stilted. But it was very short and a couple stories in, "The Shape of Things," drew me in with Capote's gift for dialog and his understanding of the poor and the misfit. In fact, most of his stories revolve around poverty, mental illness, or desperation, and yet he overall effect somehow isn't depressing.

The star stories for me were:
"Jug of Silver."
The chilling and rather gothic "Miriam."
"Children on Their Birthdays," which begins with this lure: "Yesterday afternoon the 6-o'clock bus ran over Miss Bobbit. I'm not sure what there is to be said about it; after all, she was only ten years old, still I know no one of us in this town will forget her."
The popular and autobiographical "A Christmas Memory," which was produced for TV with Capote as narrator and Geraldine Page as the elderly cousin, Miss Sook.
"The Thanksgiving Visitor," which also features the charming Miss Sook. I smiled when, in a list of foods often served for breakfast I read, "...fried squirrel (in season)..." I had no idea squirrel had a season.